Home
Menu
REQUEST A QUOTE

Forged Titanium Alloys

Forged Titanium for Excellent Durability & Corrosion Resistance

Forged titanium is often used due its strength and corrosion resistance, as well as being the most bio-compatible of all metals. From the mined titanium minerals, 95% is used to manufacture titanium dioxide, which is a pigment used in paints, plastics and cosmetics.  Of the remaining minerals, only 5% is refined further into titanium metal. Titanium has the highest strength to density ratio of any metallic element; and its strength provides excellent durability and resistance to corrosion.

Often, forged titanium part requests do not follow common standards but are made to fit customer requirements. Scot Forge will work according to customers’ property requirements and forging needs. While titanium is usually forged to meet customer specifications, Scot Forge does offer titanium forging services to these common standards: ASTM B381, SAE AMS4928, SAE AMS4931, SAE AMS4911, SAE AMS4921, SAE AMSH81200.

Scot Forge holds an inventory of various alloys for customers to order for their titanium forging needs and specifications: 

Titanium

Alpha Alloys Alpha Beta Alloys
 Commercially Pure (CP)  Ti-6Al-4V  (AMS4928, 6930, 6931, ASTM B381 F5)
  Gr. 2 (B381 F2)  Ti-6Al-4V Extra Low Interstitial (AMS4930, 4931)
 Gr. 3 (B381 F3)  
Gr. 4 (B381 F4, MIL-T-9047G CP-70, AMS4921)  

Forged Titanium Advantages

Because of forged titanium’s anti-corrosive properties, it is often used in marine, off-shore, and salt water environments. Titanium forgings are best suited for applications that serve in the aerospace, navel and industrial industries as they are capable to withstand intense conditions that are exposed within these environments. Products that can be assembled using titanium forging include:

  • Aircraft, helicopters, rockets
  • Submarines, ships
  • Pressure vessels
  • Heat exchangers

Benefits of Forged Titanium

  • Highest strength to density ratio of any metallic element
  • Corrosion-resistant in seawater

Forged Titanium Capabilities

Our capabilities include eight hydraulic open die presses, four ring mills, six pneumatic hammers, one bar planishing mill and one hydraulic upset press. Scot Forge can produce parts that weigh from 1 lb. to 300,000 lbs. in titanium materials. Below is a list of our skills for titanium forging:

  • Round, square, or hex bars up to 65" cross section and 10,000 lbs
  • Unique and innovative forged shapes powered by simulation and CAD software
  • Discs up to 144" O.D. with variable diameter and thickness ratios or combos and 100,000 lbs
  • Single or multiple O.D./I.D. up to 90" O.D. 2" minimum wall thickness and 100,000 lbs
  • Single, double or tapered hubs up to 144" O.D. and 100,000 lbs
  • Rolled rings to 252" O.D., 49" height, and 100,000 lbs
  • Semi-closed die powered by CAD and simulation software
  • Step shafts concentric or eccentric to 65" O.D. and up to 100,000 lbs

In addition, we provide value-added processes such as saw cutting, heat treating, contour torch cutting, destructive testing, metallurgical analysis and Level III nondestructive testing for all titanium forging.

Quality Assurance

Scot Forge is proud to be ISO 9001:2015 certified as well as AS9100D and committed to providing outstanding customer satisfaction. Further pursuance of aerospace products has led to NADCAP accreditation in both Heat Treatment for titanium material and Nondestructive Testing. By developing a personal relationship with Scot Forge, each customer is valued and placed with a qualified team that will see through each titanium forging delivered from inquiry stage to order placement, expediting and shipping.